Vehicle monitoring system
Driver Monitoring SystemLast update: 03 Aug. 2023
What is a Driver Monitoring System?
Monitoring System focused on the driver with an interior camera and a processing Electronic Control Unit (ECU) which enhances passenger safety and meets regulations by assessing the driver’s state (drowsiness, distraction, sudden sickness).
What are Valeo Driver Monitoring System benefits?
- Monitoring System compliant with regulations
- Camera design for optimized in-cabin integration
- Driver drowsiness and distraction detection, robust algorithm integrable in Valeo Electronic Control Unit (ECU) or in Domain Controller
- Scalable system with additional functions such as phone detection, identification, etc.
Valeo Driver Monitoring System specifications
- Camera with 1 to 2 Mpx IR Imager Resolution
- 40° to 50° Field of View
- Illumination via LED or VCSEL
- Electronic control unit (ECU) with SoC AM62 from TI
- State-of-the-art computer vision algorithms for face tracking, drowsiness and distraction detection
Unique Selling Points
- 15+ years of automotive camera experience and 8 years for 1 M-Pixel cameras (design & manufacturing)
- Custom lens design for perfect images and detection
- Machine Learning with real sleep deprivation driving multi-ethnic population
- Software for identification
35% of the drivers involved in a fatal accident due to smartphone are under 35 years old
Driver drowsiness represents up to 30% of car accidents, the main cause of fatal motorway accidents between 2016 and 2020 (26% over the past 5 years)
A German in-depth crash study established that about 24% of crashes on a German motorway were related to fatigue
10 to 12%
The European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) reports that at least 10 to 12% of crashes were due to driver distraction
- Passenger car
- Robot taxi
- Off road