48V Electric MotorLast update: 01 Sep. 2023
What is a 48V electric motor?
The 48V eMotor (electric motor) is a reversible electric machine, which embeddes its electronic (inverter) and which is able to be integrated on all architectures beyond P0 (belt). The electrical motor can be positioned either on the input shaft of the gearbox (P2 outside, P2.5 inside), on the output shaft of the gearbox (P3) or with a gearbox (eDrive) on the rear axle drivetrain (P4).
When associated with an internal combustion engine (ICE), for hybrid applications, the 48V electric motor can provide up to 15% fuel economy benefits on WLTP cycle compared with a conventional stop-start system.
48V eMotors can also be used for eMobility (Small mobility market) associated with an adjusted gearbox (eDrive) for light electric 2-, 3- or light 4-wheelers.
What are Valeo 48V electric motor benefits?
- Modular/transversal solution in 48V able to address several hybrid architectures
- Hairpin winding for increased power density
- Stack length variation for voltage and power variability
- Unique connector for both power and signal
Valeo 48V electric motor specifications
- Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor (PMSM)
- 3 ranges of power linked to cooling: 8 kWp (air cooled), 15 kWp (oil cooled, with cooling circuit integrated in the shaft) and up to 25 kWp (water cooled)
- High efficiency machine in all modes up to 92%
- Up to 21,000rpm
CO2 benefits on WLTP cycle (Up to*)
World SOP premiere 48V eMotor for eDCT application
- Passenger car
- Robot taxi
- Off road